Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I give people too much credit...

As I am sure I have stated somewhere on this site, I have taken on a family business recently. We (I guess "I" now, since I am the only one doing it anymore) make miniature dollhouse picture frames. I have tried to make my website as user-friendly and easy to navigate and understand as I can. I have also tried to make it ABUNDANTLY clear that what I am selling is 1/12 scale, i.e. not very big.

This weekend I had a person email me and ask if I provided the glass for the frames. I replied by saying that the frames themselves are only 1/8" deep and the inlay for the art is only 3/64". The prospective customer continued to ask questions and placed an order yesterday. Shortly after this customer placed the order they emailed back and said they just noticed that the frames were 1/12 scale, thought they were full sized frames, that explains the price, please cancel the order.

[sigh] ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! A 16 x 20 frame for $1.80 is indeed quite a bargain. It was not a problem to cancel the order. What amazes me is that I plainly stated in an email directly to the person experiencing the confusion that the product is only 1/8" deep, that is as thick as a... Nickel, and yet the prospective customer didn't pick up on the miniature part of the situation.

Enough with the rant...I spend this morning tweaking the website to make it even more obvious that my frames are tiny. I put a penny in each picture so there can't...uh, shouldn't, be any more confusion.

In case you are interested: www.dollhouseframes.com

No comments: