Tuesday, June 14, 2005

QVC, Commercials, and Local News

A couple comments on a few TV related subjects.

I shall begin with QVC/HSN. I have never bought a thing from either channel, but I feel compelled to stop and watch every once in a while. A particular favorite product to watch (do they call them segments or shows?) is Quacker Factory - NOT because I would ever consider wearing any of the clothing offered, but because the creator of the line (Jeanne) horrifies me! She is a jovial, heavy lady - no big deal yet - who wears, every time I have ever seen her, a thick 80's style head band. Not the kind that goes over your head from ear to ear...the kind that goes over your eyebrows and around the back of your head. YIKES! And she is trying to sell me "style"? A link to a picture. I won't even go into my anti-embellishment of clothing. Do we really want bedazzled bumble bee's flying around leaving a stitch trail all over our tops?

Following the theme of creepy commercials on The Fount...
I agree with one commenter who said the Burger King "Wake up with the king" commercials are freaky. I don't know what I would do if I rolled over and cracked open an eye and saw that thing grinning at me - even if it was offering me food. One of my most hated commercials is probably local so I will recap it for you. Cable Company trashing the "dish" networks. It has this boob who had a dish but he had problems with keeping it installed. He claims the dish company told him to put the dish in a bucket of cement. "I live in an apartment, where am I going to mix cement?" Then he proceeds to build this elaborate bookshelf (in the apartment) to tie his dish onto out on his patio - which obviously didn't work, so he got cable. While I know this is a fictional incident, I feel compelled to yell at this boob every time I see the commercial. "You can build a shelving unit in your kitchen, but you can't pour some cement mix in a 5 gallon bucket and give it a stir! GIVE ME A BREAK! You are so stupid you deserve RABBIT EARS!"

And while on the subject of stupid people...ahhh, the local news. Now, I am not saying that the news personalities are stupid (right now, that will probably come in another post). It's the people they find to interview. CK and I have come up with a theory on this, which I will end this post with, but first I will explain my viewpoint. Why is it that the only people you ever see interviewed after an apartment building burns down or a car drives through a restaurant have the same features? Missing teeth, a mullet, a wife-beater T-shirt, overalls, and horrifically poor grammar (if they can string a sentence together at all!). I have lived in 4 different states in differnet parts of the US and have encountered this phenomenon in all locations (just with different regional accents). I conclude with the theory that anyone with an IQ above 75 knows better than to be interviewed by the local news and when they see the news van coming, they slowly back away into the crowd. Or better yet, they don't chase the ambulances in the first place!

2 comments:

Craig said...

1. I have always claimed, and still maintain that the Quacker Factory woman actually escaped from the taping of some workout video for overweight people in the 80's and hasn't changed her clothes since. Either that or she loves Flashdance a little too much.

2. My biggest problem with the guy in the cable commercial is the fact that he talks out of the left side of his face. I feel compelled to make fun of him, which then leads to me feeling guilty. I blame him for that too.

ركن المثالية said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجاري بالرياض
شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض