Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Why I Don't Gamble

I have started posting some items for sale on eBay recently for my home business. I feel compelled to check my listings obsessively to see if I have any bids or even any hits on the pages or "watchers". I check it at least 15 times a day. This doesn't have anything to do with gambling, I just wanted to point out how obsessed I am with that.

The bidding is the "gambling" issue. I hate to lose. I hate losing while playing games and I hate losing while bidding on eBay. If I have bid on something I really want, I will sit and click reload for an hour before the auction ends, just to make sure I don't get outbid. Why, you ask, don't I just bid higher? Because I am cheap. I don't want to pay more than what I bid, but I also don't like to lose. You see my dilemma.

I've been to Vegas twice and only spent $0.05 on the slot machines. It makes me physically ill (0r could it be my severe allergy to cigarette smoke...) to put money into a machine and not get something - a gumball even- out instantly. I could never sit at one of those things and pump change into it for hours in the hope that I would get some trickle of nickels back. Those people make me sad. Anyway, with my obsessiveness on eBay, I would never allow myself to become involved in any other form of a gamble. I would have to play until I won - or more likely, until I ran us into bankruptcy.

1 comment:

Becki said...

Well take it from me. I live in Vegas and only play the penny slots. All the penny games have crazy goals and little characters everywhere so you feel like you're paying to play a game instead of throwing money away.