Thursday, April 28, 2005

Obsessions, Compulsions, and Pet-Peeves

One of my bigger pet-peeves is FW:emails. Part of the reason I hate them (is that strong for a pet-peeve?) is > > > > > > > > >

I find it intolerable to read a message with 15 > in front of each pseudo sentence, usually followed by every other line containing only 1 or two words because the formatting has been so corrupted.

If I do feel the need to actually read one, which is rare, I HAVE to (this is the compulsion/obsession part) cut and paste it into Word and fix all of the formatting issues to make it readable. For example, this morning I received a Dr. Phil Quiz from a co-worker. My interest was piqued, so I ctrl-A, ctrl-V and start my reformatting. Once the quiz was in the suitable format (25 minutes later) I proceeded to take the quiz, scoring a 35 - which was pretty fitting to my personality. Did I forward it on? Absolutely not.

Which brings me to my next pet-peeve: I don't care if lightning strikes me dead the moment I delete it, I WILL NOT forward it to 10 people to save myself from the terrible things a pseudo-spam threatens me with. Do people actually think that a train will crash into their house if they delete an email from the inbox? Give me a break.

My final pet-peeve of the evening: "I don't normally forward these, but..." Puh-lease! If that is the case, clean it up and send it as it's own email with a nice bit of personal correspondence working up to the followup of pseudo-spam.

Oh, the irony. While composing this blog I just received FW: FW: FW: A NEW WAY OF CAR JACKING to warn me about the dangers of windshield fliers. Will I "Please keep this circulating, caution to women especially."? Of course not.

No comments: