Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

For most of my life I have been anti-Apple computers. (crApple & Macintrash are what my dad and I referred to them as). With the explosion of the iPod popularity, Craig and I fell prey to the media and each bought an iPod Mini a year and a half ago. We were tickled pink with our new toys for about a year (coincidently until the warranty expired)...

For about the last 9 months, Craig's iPod has had trouble staying on. Finally, his crapped out completely a couple of months ago. I used my iPod a fraction of the amount that he used his, but a month after his died, mine refused to turn on. We tried all their ridiculous trouble shooting, resetting whatnot that the Apple site recommends. Our replacement warranty had expired about a month before. (Conspiracy theorists: planned? I am starting to wonder).

Since our warranty was already up and neither of us were willing to pay close to $100 (each) to send them to Apple for repairs - you can buy a new non-Apple mp3 player for as much. Instead we found a battery replacement site and ordered 2 replacement kits for $9.99 each, thinking probably our batteries had died - a very common flaw of the iPod. Our kits arrived and I excitedly hacked into my pod and replaced the battery. I waited for several hours for the battery to charge. And with great hopes, I tried to reset the pod. NOTHING! I tried again. And again. And again. And every time I walked past it sitting dead on the desk. I opened it up again to make sure I had all the connectors connected. I noticed a little burned section of the motherboard. Nice.

We opened up Craig's pod to see if he had the same problem. Nope, his looked fine, probably just needed a new battery. We replaced the battery and... Still a dead pod. So after having these things for less than 2 years, they both died beyond repair. My sister has gone thru 2 or 3 iPods within the last 4 years. I now vow never to purchase another Apple product as long as I live. I am so disgusted, I can't even put it into words.

That said, we saved up and went a-hunting for new mp3 players. Our criteria:
Not an iPod of any kind.
No moving parts, i.e. a flash drive rather than a conventional hard drive.
Close to the same "size" as our iPods; 4 GB of storage.

Off to Best Buy we head. We ask the very helpful guy (really, I know, unheard of) in the department what his thoughts were on what we could get with our criteria. He explained several options which looked good. We browse for a bit longer. Home we go without purchasing so Craig can look up reviews on Cnet.com. I nap for several hours while he reads reviews. Back to Best Buy we go.

To make this long post end soon, I choose an iriver clix and Craig choose a Sandisk Sansa as our new music to go players. Read the reviews on Cnet, they both rate 8.0 out of 10 or above. The only drawback is that they are 2 GB only rather than the 4 GB we had; however, I never filled my whole 4 GB up anyway.

Here is a picture of mine. It measures 2.7" by 1.8" (more than 1/2 as big as my crApple iPod), weighs 2.5 ounces, plays flash games, displays pictures, plays small videos, has an optional cradle to use for line-in recording (great for digitizing our tapes and childhood vinyl), has a voice recorder, and FM tuner (!), and much more.

I am pleased, so very pleased. Now I can mow the lawn again - couldn't do it without my music, then it was just a chore.

Woo hoo! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I've never been too keen on Apple products, but people keep telling me how great they are.

Aside from the probs with the iPod, I happen to think that the iTunes interface sucks a big one. If you want to just play music, it works. But organizing music? Playing just an album? Fixing tags? Can be done, but not easily.

Really, if Macs are that great, and have been that great for so long, why haven't they overtaken Microsoft yet?