Friday, May 06, 2005

Love is in the air...

Well, spring has finally shown up for a few days in Michigan. On Monday and Tuesday we had snow (very light, but none-the-less). Today it was in the 70's.

What does this have to do with the title? This morning when I let the dog out the back door, he rushed down the stairs, barking like crazy at a large swan that was hanging out in the yard. Oh, by the way, we live on a lake so larger birds in our yard is not so uncommon, but usually it is a gaggle of geese or a lone blue heron, the swans prefer the other side of the lake. In 3 and a half years this is the first swan to hang out in our yard.

Back to the title. Oddly, the swan waddled off and hung out close to the shore staring him (the dog) down. The dog lost interest and went about his normal business and yet the swan remained. We (the dog and me) were intrigued so I grabbed the binoculars and headed upstairs to watch from above. About an hour later (I was reading a book and watching, I don't normally just sit and stare out the window at large fowl) a second swan floated up.

He, too, waddled out of the water, again absolutely unheard of on this side of the lake, and strutted towards the first beast. She seemed shy and waddled towards the yard next door. Mr. Swan, with his feathers ruffled like a peacock (though not as long and flamboyant) diligently followed.

I know you expect me to go into some graphic and yet amusing anecdote about swan love, but you are going to be disappointed. Like a Disney movie, they waddled behind a large burn pile of yard waste and hung out for a while. Twenty minutes later Mr. Swan waddled his way back to the water and floated away. What happened behind the burn pile, we (the dog, me, and now you) will never know, but I can tell you that I didn't hear any slurps similar to those made by Joe Millionaire and the blonde lady with the foot fetish videos.

Happy Spring!

No comments: