Monday, June 09, 2008

NOW begins the boycott of all things Dell.

I haven't mentioned the demise of my laptop (again) because we have the old one and we also have desktop systems which I can use. HOWEVER, I have had it with Dell and I want to spread the fact that they sell inferior products and have inferior customer service. I am sick of paying for a product and not receiving what we pay for.

Several years ago we bought our first laptop from Dell. Within the 2 years of owning it, it needed to have the motherboard replaced - twice - for a known issue which they were being sued for. This was a nightmare which I won't go into (you can read about it here.) When the warrenty was up we decided to order a new one since the old was limping along.

The new system arrived and was wonderful for 6 months. In March it became virtually non-usable due to a faulty video card that Dell apparetly retrofitted (and destroyed in the process) so it would fit in a smaller case. Long story short, we have had to re-install Windows a minimum of 12 times in order to keep it functioning. I have sent it to Microsoft (via my brother-in-law who works for Microsoft Technology Center in Chicago) for a rollback to Windows XP in hopes that XP would be compatable with the video card (initially it was thought to be a Windows Vista problem). I have dealt with Dell Tech "service" for months via email. Craig just spent 5 hours via Dell chat tech service.

Tech service has had us jump through hoops (all of which we had already jumped through on our own). After 5 hours today Craig was informed that the problem was "being elevated" and he would receive a call from someone withing an hour.

Craig received the call. He was informed that they "are working on a patch"! When Craig told them that this answer was unaceptable and would affect our choice to purchase a Dell in the future the tech asked if Craig would like the service call to be "elevated" again. UMMM, YEAH!

So, as it stands, Dell has done nothing to solve the ongoing problem. They have offered no refund, no replacement, no fix after a minimum of 10 hours of communication with tech service. Our warrenty expires in 3 months, which I suspect is what they are waiting for. I am currently searching online to see if there is another class-action lawsuit for this known and ignored problem. I will never purchase a Dell again and would suggest others (especially others with limited computer knowledge who cannot argue with them in their tech speak) also avoid Dell.

That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am also facing such many problems from dell laptop and i am not getting support from dell , i am telling everybody that please don't buy dell laptops.