Sunday, July 17, 2005

Household Roles

Recently CK and I spent a night working on our hobbies. Both of us came away with residue from our hobby stuck under our fingernails. One of us had chocolate ganache remains and the other had wood stain. Stereotypes would place me slaving away in the kitchen and CK hard at work in the basement. Not so in our household.

When we got married, I secretly longed for the "Power Tool Party" that was thrown for CK. I was so excited to see what tools he reaped. He (I) got a circular saw, several ratchet sets, a power drill, a tool box, and oh, so much more! I could have done a happy dance seeing his (soon to be my) spoils! CK is the baker and chef in our house. Don't get me wrong, I cook, when I feel like it - which is rare. I do make a mean shrimp gumbo. If we decide on sandwiches, I am usually finished eating mine before he has even finished building his masterpiece.

I could spend hours browsing row by row of any hardware supercenter. CK on the other hand would much prefer the Beyond (kitchen wares) part of Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I could take an hour deciding on which laser tape measure I want; he could spend hours deciding on which pepper mill is better. I have burns and scars from hot glue guns and razors; CK has scars from hot ovens and sharp knives. Household roles are interesting.

No comments: