Monday, May 22, 2006

This is Space command to Zoom

All systems are go for your message to Melissa!

Hey, Melissa!
It's your birthday!
I'm in charge of the stars
And I'm here to say,
'cause Melissa,
You're the BIG STAR today!

My name is Zoom
And I live on the moon
But I came down to earth
Just to sing you this tune
Hey, Melissa,
It's your birthday today!

A present for you
I wanted to find
An outerspace creature
A one of a kind!
A wild whop or a kukelchoo,
An apple drop or a buzzardstew
Or maybe a 3-eyed tickleshay
For your birthday

Did you ask:
"uh, what's a kukelchoo?"
Well, up on the moon it's nothing new
But that won't do for you,
On your birthday!

I searched behind the clouds and stars
I even zoomed my bike to Mars
And met my friend the saucer man
And he said:
"Hey Zoom I got the bestest plan!
What your friend needs is something new,
So how about a song, just from YOU?"

And so tonight when you're in bed
I'll be singing to you as I zoom overhead
Singing, Melissa! Happy Birthday
Singing, Melissa! Happy Birthday
Singing, Melissa! Happy Birthday
To you!

Happy Birthday, Melissa!
See you next year!

7 comments:

Matt said...

Happy Birthday (one day late). I just read your profile and was impressed to find someone so unabashedly praising those disaster movies. Kudos.

JAW said...

Hey - Happy Birthday!

(Sorry I'm late.)

Nice job, though.

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh!!! I typed in the lyrics to that song on yahoo.com because I have been trying to find that birthday tape for years.It led me to your site. I am 23 now, but when I was about 8, my mom bought me that tape. Except, my name is Lisa. Would you happen you know where to get those tapes now? Thanks (Lisjhnsn@aol.com)

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU! for posting the lyrics to Captain Zoom..My children have sung this song for their birthdays to each other for 20 years or so! We even have some of the words wrong in our memory... now we have the real ones. I just ordered a new CD of this song with my granddaughter's name in it!

Sarah said...

I agree, thanks so much for posting the lyrics. This probably is one of my favorite memories of my birthdays. After I got the tape, Id play the tape a few minutes before my birthday ended while Id be going to bed. Just brings back so many amazing memories!

Anonymous said...

Dude.. I can't even remember a birthday without this song.. my 20th is tomorrow and I typed in the lyrics to the song wondering if I was the only person in the world who was tortured with it every birthday!! I love it! So glad I'm not!

Tiff said...

My mom has played this song for my over and over again each birthday since 1989 :) I love it! When I have children, they will experience the same joy!