Monday, August 14, 2006

Oh, the horror!

I like the internet. I especially love google. Google is my homepage at work and at home. I probably search for stuff at least 10 times a day. I've often wished I had access to the tangled web of information back when I was in high school. That is, until I google'd my maiden name a while ago. That is the moment I was thankful that the internet (as it is) did not exist back when I was in high school.

Upon searching, (who doesn't search their own name and everyone they know?) the sites that came up were - shall we say - seedy. Dirty. Often requiring an age verification prior to entry into the site. Specifically, Sir Mix-a-lot has a song about my last name, if he were in the Netherlands. Yes, in Dutch, my maiden name is a swear. Nice.

As bad as high school was...it could have been much, much worse for me if we had google as we know it today. Phew. Dodged that bullet, or at least a plethora of teasing.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Doesn't it make you wonder what your ancestors did for a living?